Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Running Your Race...

I don’t run. Unless something is chasing me, I don’t run. I used to run when I was younger probably because I was just bored. There was also that time I joined the high school track team, not because I liked running but because my two best friends ran track. Yeah, I don’t like to run.  My husband is always trying to get me to run.  I tell him the same. Recently, he ran the Colfax with a relay team from work. He had to be at City Park at 3am. Just another reason why I don’t run. Some people may find it fun but it doesn’t sound like fun to me at all. We showed up later (much later) to show our support at the finish line. As I observed the participants, I noticed how much pain some of them were in. I thought to myself, “Why on earth would you want to do that?!”

I have been dealing with some strenuous issues lately, mostly family-related. Family dynamics are an interesting thing as you get older, mostly during your child-bearing and raising years. They can be tough to figure out. Life is much like a race. It is hard. It tests you physical endurance as well as your mental stamina, much like a runner. It takes your breath away and sometimes knocks you to your knees. Sometimes it becomes hard to keep going. In these times I am thankful for the support group that I have. The few men and women that I can be honest and open with; The ones that never throw stones at me judge me, but pray for me and encourage me instead. Most of all, I am thankful for Jesus. He said that he will never leave me. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

I like how Paul put it in 1 Corinthians 9:24, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize’. What are you struggling with? What is your race in life? No matter what it is, hold onto God’s promises. Know that you are not alone. Me too; I will continue running my race - sometimes fast and sometimes slow. One step at a time, but I will continue my race in hopes of obtaining the prize.  In the meantime, there is always good chocolate, salty snacks, bubble baths, and the occasional margarita.

“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

Andrea Vega is a wife, mom and a flatirons attendee. Born and raised in Texas, she now lives in beautiful Colorado and loves the mountain view, but misses a good 'ol Texas thunderstorm! Andrea’s husband describes her as "free-spirited" (she thinks he’s just being nice). She’s just a girl trying to make a difference in the world, doing her part to be the hands and feet of Jesus, not perfect but forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment