Thursday, August 18, 2016

Doing Things We Don't Want to Do

By Bianca Olthoff

I called my sister and told her I was going to flake out on the mud run because running a 10k is bad for my health and my inordinate long leg (yes, one leg is longer than the other). She told me to stick it out and enjoy it for what it was. So you want me to enjoy running through mud pits and sand traps? I’m supposed to enjoy rolling around in dirt? I rolled my eyes and muttered, Whatever. But, alas, she was right. Running around in mud pits and sand traps with team Hot Mess was so much fun, I can’t wait to do it again!

I thought that I’d have some epiphany or something like a spiritual enlightenment when I crossed the finish line. Apparently I’m not that holy because I didn’t. The only thing I wanted to do was remove the dirt from my hair and throw away my shoes. But having processed the event and spoken to a few people about the challenge it was for me to actually do the event, it’s prepared me for what I have to do tomorrow.

God doesn’t give more than we can handle, but He does strengthen our endurance by giving us trials for preparation of the future. James 1:2-4 says it like this: 

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

In some weird way, the mud pits, sand pits, tire runs, and river team Hot Mess had to conquer are like the trials in our life that produce perseverance.

Faith in my physical endurance was tested this weekend. But faith in myself will be tested tomorrow in front of almost 500 women as I share my personal struggles through life’s mud pits, sand traps, and waist-deep rivers of my obsessions, struggles, and addictions. Afterwards I hope to finish and feel as I felt when I finished this race relieved, accomplished, and happy it’s over.


Bianca is passionate about God’s Word and teaching around the globe about life, love and the pursuit of Jesus. She is also excited about the release of her new book, Play with Fire, found wherever books are sold. For more information visit her website: www.biancaolthoff.com. (This blog reprinted with permission from Bianca Olthoff)




No comments:

Post a Comment