Monday, December 12, 2016

I'm Dreaming of an Imperfect Christmas...



By Michelle Mathieson Galenas

My toddlers were beyond excited to decorate our Christmas tree this year. I think they did a great job. After a brief moment of anxiety about the job they were doing, I decided to enjoy the smile it puts on my face every time I look at it. I particularly like the hanging ornaments ON ornaments technique.

This is our imperfect tree and YES it's staying that way!



Finding JOY, being GRATEFUL, letting go of hopes of perfection (no such thing), or appearing perfect in this competitive "look how good we are" world is something I've been praying about constantly. Worrying about how I appear to others and trying to keep up with their highlight reel is physically and mentally breaking me. I know someone who posted pictures of all four of their Christmas trees! At first I thought, "Are you kidding me, four trees?" My next thought was, "Oh, maybe we need another tree." Silliness. It's all silliness. 


Comparison is incongruent with the life Jesus called us to live and it's making us sick, unhappy, anxious, unloving, and ungrateful. 


As humans we are wired with core values and when we act in a way that is incongruent with those values it causes an unhealthy stress response. For example, love is a core value. When you act in unloving ways towards someone it not only affects them, it affects you and your health. Simple enough to understand, right?

In the hustle and bustle of this season, don't compare yourself to others. You'll miss out on what is truly important! Find joy in the little things. Show love and grace to those that don't necessarily deserve it. Life is short, people matter not possessions.

Presence NOT presents.

Love and Light.

Dr. Michelle is a mom and a chiropractor who is on a mission to help moms get back to trusting the inborn innate intelligence of the human body and raise up healthy, strong, smart, world changing kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment