Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Try Bird Watching When You Feel Worried


“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?”
 - Jesus (Matthew 6:25-26)

Jesus gets me. He said this to his disciples more than 2000 years ago, but today it’s as if he’s speaking directly to me.

Two years ago, my husband and I sold our home and radically reduced our belongings. We wanted to downsize and simplify our lives. It’s been an incredible journey of living “lighter.” We’ve been staying the winters in an adorable rustic cottage in the foothills of Boulder, CO near Chautauqua Park. During the summers the owners from Texas live in it. For the past couple of summers, we’ve been sort of nomadic. It’s been a fun adventure. However, recently I started having thoughts of wanting to settle down again in a home of our own. 

Then, we found out this will be our last winter in this cottage because the owners are going to retire and remodel it so they can enjoy this precious place full time. 

The timing of this coincided perfectly with how I was starting to feel. Like most women, I like to nest, and my nesting instinct was growing stronger. Neither my husband nor I have peace about jumping back into home ownership right now because the market is so crazy. The thought of finding a more long-term rental seemed like a good option. But where?

On November 4, I was talking to Jesus about this. I told him about my longing for a home of our own in a place with community and connection. I even wrote in my journal, “starting to feel anxious about where we are going to live.” 


Then I wrote, “God can do more than we ask or imagine. I pray for clarity about where we should live and faith that God will provide the perfect place.”


Later that day I went for a walk with a friend. We walked passed a home near hers that is for rent. It’s in a neighborhood we love, near where we lived for 17 years,  and close to families we adore. I contacted the woman who owns it, who is also a dear friend, and we briefly talked about the idea of us renting it. For me, this was a clear message that God can do more than we ask or imagine and increased my faith and trust that he will take care of us. I don’t know yet if this is the “nest” God has for us next, but if it isn’t, I’m confident he has something that will be perfect. I don’t need to worry, God’s got it.

When we start to worry, as we all do, Jesus has some great advice.

Look up at the birds in the air. 


Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?”

He provides for them and he will provide for us because he values us.



Jeannie Blackmer is married to Zane and mother of three sons. She's author of Talking to Jesus: A Fresh Perspective on Prayer, She’s also authored three books, contributed content to more than 20 books, and written articles for a variety of magazines. She loves her family, salt, chocolate, scuba diving and being outside as much as possible. She's managing the blog for the Flatirons Women's Ministry and is looking for writers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment