Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Change is in the Air



 By Jeannie Blackmer

            “Then the LORD said to me, ‘You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north.’” - Deuteronomy 2:2-3

Change is never easy. 

I’ve been experiencing significant changes in my life the past few years. It’s been a roller coaster ride ranging from a delight-filled journey to a difficult grind. I’ve had my ups and downs, experienced thrills and monotony and hope and discouragement. You know what I mean, right? 


One thing that is certain in life is we constantly experience change. 


Sometimes change feels like an assault, something we didn’t choose but have to deal with. Other times we create the change because we know we’re stuck and we want to move forward.

My husband and I chose to shake up our lives with choices we felt God was leading us to make. We had too much chaos, stress, and conflict. We knew we needed to simplify and focus on what matters most—relationships. Relationship with God and others. So, we sold our home, made career changes, launched our last child into the world, joined a small couples group from our church and had a few necessary surgeries. During this season we traveled and spent more time together and with friends. It’s been an adventure filled ride with both thrills and monotony. It hasn’t been easy but it’s been worth it. In fact, these past few years have stretched me, sometimes painfully. But, ultimately for my good and growth.

That initial decision, a few years ago, to let go of the life we had, has caused me to trust God in a much more tangible way. Bolstered in my faith with this experience, I'm feeling confident God is directing my path. 

Now, I find myself asking, “What’s next?” Not with as much fear, as I used to feel when life was uncertain, but more with excitement and joyful anticipation.

I recently read this verse, “Then the LORD said to me, ‘You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north.’” Deuteronomy 2:2-3

You probably know the story about God miraculously freeing the Israelites from the tyranny of slavery in Egypt. Then, they wandered through the desert for 40 years because of their refusal to trust God fully with their lives.  After 40 years of desert-wandering, God told Moses it was time to stop and enter the Promised Land. BUT…before going forward, Moses wanted to remind them of how God had taken care of them in the desert and reminded them of a specific time they had wandered around the same mountain for far too long. Then God directed them to “turn north.” This pivotal moment eventually led them to their land of milk and honey.

From reading this I believe God is asking me to consider where I now need to “turn north” in my life. 


I don’t have to have my future all figured out because God already does. 


I just need to make a necessary "turn", or change, to go in the direction God is continually leading me. I don’t know exactly the answer yet, but I do wonder if I'll end up somewhere doing something I never would have expected. And I'm hopeful my destination will be much better than I imagined. I'm certain I'll experience more change, and this ride called "life" will be anything but boring as I follow the directions God gives me. 


⁕ How about you? Where is God telling you to “turn north?” (Think about where you feel stuck or aimless in your life.)

⁕ What “turn” or specific change can you make to get you back on track with God’s direction and desire for your life?

Speaking of change, Flatirons Community Church has decided to discontinue the Flatirons Women's Blog in its current format. We are truly thankful for all of you who faithfully read and share the content we've created here. Please keep an eye out for future content from our writers on the new Flatirons Resources page. 

May you continue to grow in your relationship with Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.



Jeannie Blackmer is excited about her newest book, Talking to Jesus: A Fresh Perspective on Prayer, and hopes this book will ignite a desire for a deeper, more intimate prayer life for readers and help others see how relevant the Bible is today. She lives in Boulder, Colorado with her husband, Zane, and their three sons. For more information visit www.talkingtojesus.com






No comments:

Post a Comment